Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

KAPOWEE

The Adelphi Volleyball team over the past 3 years has seen its program go from being one that teams want to play to having teams be afraid to play. Making the NCAA tournament the past 3 years and coming in 2nd this past season in their conference championship makes them a force to be reckoned with. Patawe Simms, now a sophomore has showed her competitors that although she is young, she is powerful and a force on this Adelphi team.

Simms, nicknamed Kapowee for her strength and power, is a true leader on the Adelphi Women's volleyball team. For her its not about her successes it about what the the team run everyday.

"Our team chemistry is amazing. We're all very well connected and it is shown on the court. We work together as one everyday for the same purpose, to win and be successful."

In order to win though, the team has great expectations of Simms. When you look at her you can just see she's and amazing athlete. But when she steps on the floor and starts to play you understand how powerful she really is. Many wonder where she got her astonishing power and athletic abilities.

"I acquired most of my training while playing on the Fury Volleyball Club in high school. Playing club made me a better player and prepared me for my college career. When I came to Adelphi my coach then advanced my skills, making me a powerful hitter and preparing me to play on the next level."

With this power she has recorded 399 kills in her time here at Adelphi. But don't forget, she's only a sophmore so many teams will have to continue to figure out how to defend the middle powerhouse from Adelphi. Looking forward to the next two years Simms focuses on some very important things.

"My goal for the next two years here is to become the best team mate and player I can possibly be. I want every practice to be better than the last and I will work hard everyday in order to achieve my goal."

With the determination and skill of Simms, the volleyball team looks to continue its success with her help on other run for the conference championship. Simms knows they can accomplish anything as she knows this team possess one of the key factors to a being a successful team, heart.

"It's the love my teammates and I have for the sport that makes us successful and motivates us to love what we do. We are all so in sync with one another because of the dedication and commitment we each put into being on the Adelphi Volleyball team."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Simms, along with the whole team, work hard day in and day out to conquer goals and be the best they can be. And with a teammate like Simms by your side and out there on the court for you, you know that you have one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment