Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Two is Better Than One



Many people can't fathom playing one college sport, let alone two. But in Emily Dorko's world it's a different story. It's rare, especially at the DI and DII level, to play two sports. Playing both volleyball and softball is a difficult task, but one that Dorko does with grace and maturity. Being a freshman athlete can get overwhelming, but as Dorko points out, it's just a way of life.

"Being a two sport athlete has been a way of life for me since my freshman year in high school. It is stressful at times but I don't think I could live my life any other way."

Teammates are a big part of athletics and as Dorko explains although she say not be able to see some of her teammates during the opposite season, they are still a big part of her life.

"My teammates are the best thing that have come out of playing two sports. My roommates are members of the softball team. Now that it is softball season I don't see my volleyball teammates as much, but we all make the effort to meet up. It's a little hard and I miss out, but that's part of managing two sports."

Maturity as a freshman is hard to come by, but Dorko showed her's very quickly when she decided to play two sports in college. She has grown up fast and shows she can handle all the early and late practices, the crazy travel schedules, and the pains in her body. Dorko shows that this is possible with hard work.

"There are times where I feel like I can't jump any higher, or swing the bat any faster but this is what I live for. Others who aren't familiar with an athlete's lifestyle may find it difficult to balance everything on my plate, but I have managed to work out an efficient system in my life."

Why be this busy and work this hard, just to play an extra sport? For Dorko, it's simple. It's for the love of the game(s). She hopes to make a big impact in all seasons to come.

"My goal in my athletic career here at Adelphi is definitely just to make an impact. As a freshman it is hard coming into a new place, dealing with the surroundings and coaches. I want to be able to offer my skills anyway possible that will best benefit the team."

Dorko looks to work hard not just herself but for her team, both teams. Who new a freshman could have such grace and maturity, while being an amazing athlete.

Just another example of how our female athletes are special and have so much to offer.

Photos courtesy of aupanther.com



No comments:

Post a Comment